In 1956, the UE College of Medicine was established on a 10,000 sq. meter lot originally owned by the Instituto de Mujeres. The College was established as a non-stock, non-profit corporation, affiliated with, but independent of the University of the East. Founded under the principle of “complete dedication to medical education, research and the alleviation of human sufferings”, it was the first philanthropic institution in the Philippines.
In 1957, the UE College of Medicine was renamed the “University of the East Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center” or UERMMMC as a tribute to the late President Ramon Magsaysay who died in a plane crash in Cebu. The Medical School had its first graduates in 1961.
The vision of the Board of Trustees to expand its courses and services was realized when the College of Nursing was organized in 1959 with the late Dr. Purita F. Asperilla as founding Dean. The College offered a 5-year Bachelor of Science in Nursing program. Its graduates were marked as competent, caring, compassionate and well rounded health care professionals. Mrs. Evangelina M. Dumlao, a senior faculty of the College, took over the deanship in 1971 and was concurrently appointed Chief Nurse, UERM Hospital. She was conferred the title Dean Emeritus by the Medical Center in 1999. The first alumna Dean who succeeded Dean Emeritus Dumlao was Dr. Carmelita C. Divinagracia, who is a member of the Pioneer Class (1962) of the College and continues to serve as Dean.
His Excellency, Philippine President Ramon Magsaysay (center), at the Conferment upon him of the degree of Doctor of Laws, Honoris Causa, by the University of the East in January 1957. Pres. Magsaysay is seen with UE President Francisco Dalupan and Luz B. Magsaysay, President Magsaysay’s wife.
Through the efforts of then UE President Isidro D. Carino, the plan to establish the College of Physical Therapy was initiated in 1987. It was realized with the endorsement of a feasibility study diligently prepared by a dedicated team composed of Dr. Juan A. Alcazaren, head of the UERMMC Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, Dr. Arnel V. Malaya, a Rehabilitation Medicine specialist and Mrs. Serafina Maxino. In June 1988, the College first operated under the headship of Dr. Alcazaren. Dr. Malaya was then appointed Dean on 1991 when the College was granted full recognition by DECS. He continues to serve as such to the present.
At present, the Medical Center is composed of six (6) major units namely: University Hospital, (which has both pay and teaching/clinical divisions & the University Health Service), the four (4) academic units, namely: Colleges of Medicine, Nursing, Physical Therapy and the Graduate School for Nursing , which gained CHED recognition last June 2003. The sixth unit is the Research Institute.
Dean Carmelita Divinagracia, of the College of Nursing, is concurrently the Dean of the Graduate School while the Research Institute for Health Sciences is chaired by Dr. Fernando S. Sanchez, Jr., a former Dean of the College of Medicine.
uermTo maintain academic excellence, the Medical Center have sought voluntary accreditation in all it’s program offerings, with PAASCU. The College of Medicine is Level 2 accredited, the College of Nursing has been recertified Level 3 and the College of Physical Therapy was granted Level 1 accreditation all in 2004. The Medical Center is presently classified as one of the 24 deregulated schools in the country and is set to pursue an “autonomous” status in the near future.